Since 2016, MassChallenge Switzerland has been a leader in helping startups across Europe grow their businesses by accelerating 720 startups across multiple industries that have raised more than $1.2Bn in funding. Our flagship program is the early-stage startup accelerator, which accepts startups from any industry, and in 2024 will be comprised of the agnostic program and 3 industry-specific tracks: Sustainable Food, Sustainable Industry & Climate Solutions, and HealthTech.
In addition to the accelerator, MassChallenge Switzerland runs a Challenge program matching later-stage startups with corporate partners in the food industry: The Sustainable Food Solutions Challenge. More info here.
At a Glance
Funding raised in USD
In the News
We only accept startups whose solution will add value to society (for example, Millions of Tones CO2 eq. removed/avoided, Millions of Litres of water saved, lives saved), and all startups in the accelerator will be advised about how to make their business climate responsible and must intend to offset their emissions or actively reduce GHG to be considered. We’ve asked our cohort if they would recommend the program to other startups; in 2023, the average score was 9+ out of 10, from 101 responses.
To maximize their benefit from the program, Startups will need to travel and be present in Switzerland 2 times: for our Bootcamp and Halftime activities. These events generate connections and facilitate collaboration with our partners, mentors and investors. The remainder of the program operates online.
Participants gain access to:
- Unrivaled access to 15+ global corporate partners including Nestlé, Bühler, Givaudan, dsm-firmenich, Louis Dreyfus Company, Omya, Südzucker, PMI, Bystronic, SMC, Puratos, ServiceNow – totalling over CHF 260 billion in revenue;
- World-class mentoring from 400+ experts and tailored programming provided with no equity taken in return;
- Comprehensive curriculum of lectures and workshops, featuring 50+ leading entrepreneurs, VCs, and experts;
- The opportunity to compete for up to CHF 1M in non-dilutive cash prizes and other in-kind awards;
- For Food and Climate focused startups, an additional cash prize of CHF 100k no-strings-attached for the Louis Dreyfus Company Climate Resilience Prize;
- Switzerland-specific advice on regulations and tax, easy access to the EU market, and strong trade links;
- A proven model that has helped more than 65% of finalists raise funds during or immediately after the program.
A tale of two companies—the Startup and the Corporate
The partnership between NoPalm Ingredients and Bühler is a testament to the power of collaboration and innovation to drive positive change.
Startups in the foodtech and agritech sectors are responsible for developing key innovations that are changing the way we, as consumers, live. Yet, these important drivers of the new green economy face unique challenges. Meanwhile established corporates face challenges of their own, as they strive to make innovation a priority while maintaining their existing propositions.
Switzerland Industry Tracks
Our tracks operate as part. of the MassChallenge Switzerland accelerator program. Selected early-stage startups will receive additional specialized support and resources from our partners, mentors, and VCs, all of which are designed to help startups grow their businesses. Startups DO NOT need to be in any of these industries to apply to MassChallenge Switzerland.
Startups interested in participating in the tracks can apply via the 2024 MassChallenge Switzerland accelerator application form, which is open until February 28, 2024.
Startups can be from any geography and should select the relevant track of interest in the application form. Industry Tracks are simply an option. In 2024, Switzerland’s tracks include:
Sustainable Food Track
Brings together the largest multi-national food corporations, world-class mentorship from food experts, and tailored curriculum focused on sustainability, food and packaging to accelerate the impact of startups working in agriculture, food, & animal feed.
Sustainable Industry & Climate Solutions Track
Expert specialist mentors and corporate partners combine to enable startups that support industry to cut energy and/or water consumption, minimize waste, embed circulatory principles, employ new materials, utilize new technologies to enhance both physical and digital operational efficiency, and reduce GHG emissions.
Leverages Switzerland’s strong heritage in med-tech, life sciences, social-care and education to help startups improve their propositions in this sector.
"2023 was our most ambitious program so far. The feedback from startups was positive. Highlights were going on tour enabling startups to meet our partners in their offices driving connections and cementing collaborations. We also introduced our Carbon and Land Use Calculator which estimates a startups’ 10 year carbon impact and was used to get funding from investors”
- Matt Lashmar, Managing Director MassChallenge Switzerland
MassChallenge Switzerland Experts
Our Network of Swiss Experts is made up of over 1,000 committed experts each year, closely working on evaluating and mentoring startups.
- Entrepreneurs in Residence are experts with deep industry understanding and knowledgeable about how to get investment. They work with startups on a regular basis.
- Over 500 judges will evaluate our 2024 applications; we will know the round 1 results by the end of March. Every startup that applies will get feedback to help their business. Stay tuned!